Registering A Company Name and Company Name Change
A company may change its name by special resolution of the members or by other means provided for in its articles of association.
When a company changes its name the company number remains the same. This means that the same entity continues to carry on its business.
Before changing a company name you should follow the following procedure.
- Check that the proposed name is available using our free name check service.
- Convene a directors’ meeting to recommend appropriate special resolution to members and to convene a general meeting. Or instead of holding a general meeting of members you can circulate a written resolution.
- Once approved by members with at least 75% majority you can carry out a name change using our online name change service. The certificate of change of name will be delivered to your Inbox within 4-5 working hours.
Cost: £40 + vat
You can use our online gateway to change the company name in easy steps:
Step 1: check the availability of company name using our advanced online name checking software which also checks for ‘same as’ names.
Step 2: type in the current name and number of the company.
Step 3: Pay and submit.
What you will get:
- Change of name certificate will be emailed to you within 3-5 working hours.
- Hard copy of the change of name certificate;
- 2 Bound copies of amended artilces of association of the company to reflect the new name.
What you need to do after changing a company name
You will need to change company stationery to reflect the new company name.
Contact your bank to complete a new bank mandate and change the bank stationery.
Notify HM Revenue & Customs for corporation tax, PAYE and VAT.
Order a new company seal if your company uses a seal.